Saturday, October 23, 2010

When Tragedy Strikes

I know we've all heard the term "Life isn't fair" and that could not ring more true than it does today. It has never been my intention with this blog to lay it all out there. It's meant to bring happiness to those of us who love and have a passion for shoes. It has never been anything but an outlet that is meant for pleasure and fun. It was certainly not my intention to have my "first post back" be a sad one. But, alas, this is what it is.

On Friday night not even 20 minutes after my husband and I arrived in our hotel room for a romantic weekend away to celebrate 8 wonderful years of marriage we received a phone call that will forever change our lives. Choking back tears, one of my husband's dear friends called with the news that my husband's older brother Bobb had died. He was 39 years old. 39. I just keep repeating that number over and over in my head. Unable to fathom how someone's life could be cut so short. 39.

On Sunday we will be leaving on a road trip to my husband's home town. As a wife it is hard to feel anything but helpless. Never do you want to see someone who you love more than life itself hurting. Devastated. I've found that I don't have the words. Even as his wife I don't have the words. And so I've resorted to touch. To comfort him through touch when words fail.

My husband has faced too much. Too much tragedy in his life. My heart quite literally aches and it hasn't stopped since that moment. I don't know if it ever will.

8 comments:

Alison said...

Oh, that is such sad news. So, so sorry to hear of your family's loss. You will be in my thoughts during this difficult time. Take care!

GFS said...

Sorry for your loss. Sometimes touch is way more effective than words. God bless your family.

Faith J. said...

Thank you for sharing this with us. It takes a lot of courage. I am so sorry. That is heartbreaking. I will be praying for you, your husband, and your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

The Hyper Cook said...

I am so sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace. I will keep you, your husband, and all the family in my thoughts and prayer. Hang in there my dear!!!

Idee Fixe said...

I'm one of those lurkers, but your post struck a chord with me and compelled me to write. We've had 3 horrid, tragic deaths in the past year, including my husband's best friend whom he met because of me,so it was a great loss to our whole family. Keep doing what you are, he needs your support and will do for some time. We're still mourning his loss and not a day goes by without us thinking of him. Hang in there, get help if you need it, and most of all be the woman your husband fell in love with.
XXX
Suzanne

fashion trends said...

I am so sorry for your husband's loss and I also know how hard it is to share personal tragedies on a public blog. Thank you for sharing with us and hang in there!

holly in heels said...

That is so hard, I'm very sorry to hear of this news too. I'm so glad you're finding your way on how to console a hurting hub--it's not easy and lots of time and love is often what it takes! Keep your head up and thank you for sharing. I will remember you guys in prayer.
xoxo,
www.hollyinheels.com